Skip to main content

With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo



With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo 

Genre: Young Adult Fiction

Ever since she got pregnant freshman year, Emoni Santiago has been doing what has to be done for her daughter and her abuela. The one place she can let all that go is in the kitchen, where she adds a little something magical to everything she cooks, turning her food into straight-up goodness.

I simply require a sequel to see where Emoni goes after high school. This book was so cute I couldn't stop reading! Despite there being no real plot, I found myself eager to keep reading. I wanted to know what Emoni cooked next or hear what 'Buela's next piece of advice would be. Sometimes it's nice to pick up a fluff book after reading depressing novels for so long. This was 100% the feel-good book that I needed. 

- Emily

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Filter and Other Lies by Crystal Maldonado

No Filter and Other Lies by Crystal Maldonado Genre: Young Adult Fiction Seventeen-year-old Kat Sanchez uses photos of a friend to create a fake Instagram account, but when one of her posts goes viral and exposes Kat's duplicity, her entire world--both real and pretend--comes crashing down around her. Twenty one-year-old Max Monroe has it all: beauty, friends, tons of followers on Instagram. Except it's all fake. Max is actually 17-year-old Kat Sanchez, a quiet and sarcastic, bisexual Puerto Rican teenager living in Bakersfield, California. Crystal Maldonado is fantastic at character development and storytelling. The pacing is a little slow in this one, but I didn't mind. I saw a lot of myself in Kat's character and it warmed my heart to see her gain confidence throughout the book - even if it was through a fake Instagram page.  - Emily

Queen of the Tiles by Hanna Alkaf

  Queen of the Tiles by Hanna Alkaf Genre: Young Adult Fiction Fifteen-year-old Najwa Bakri is forced to investigate the mysterious death of her best friend and Scrabble Queen, Trina, a year after the fact when her Instagram comes back to life with cryptic posts and messages.  I never thought a Scrabble tournament could be so eventful... It gets a little ridiculous at the end but I was so engaged throughout that I didn't mind. Definitely a solid read with a sprinkle of mystery throughout!  - Emily

She Gets the Girl by Rachael Lippincott

She Gets the Girl by Rachael Lippincott Genre: Young Adult Romance Your classic enemies to lovers trope that I will *never* get sick of. This dual-perspective novel follows Molly who has been crushing on the same girl for the last four years and Alex who has just had a rough breakup. Alex devises a plan to help Molly in hopes that she can prove that she's a good person to her ex so they can get back together. But once everything goes according to plan, they each start realizing that maybe this wasn't what they truly wanted...  I listened to this one as an audiobook and it gave me all the feel-goods I needed to get me through the week!